4 ounces cauliflower florets
1 medium carrot, grated
1 large onion
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups chicken stock, homemade bone stock is best
2 cups half and half, or cream, whole milk or a mix
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 teaspoon salt
1 pinch nutmeg, optional
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or too taste, lots is better
1 dash hot sauce, optional
1. Melt butter in a large pot.
2. Saute onions till translucent.
3. Add stock, black pepper, broccoli and carrots to pot and simmer covered, till just tender.
4. In the mean time, steam cauliflower.
5. Once Cauliflower is tender, process in food processor or blender with 2 tablespoons of the cream till consistency of mashed potatoes.
6. Heat remaining cream in a separate sauce pan.
7. Once it's hot, slowly add grated cheddar as you whisk the cream.
8. Add all the cheddar till it is all melted and you have a nice cheese sauce.
9. When broccoli is tender, combine cheese sauce with stock and vegetables.
10. Add the mashed cauliflower and nutmeg (if using) and whisk to combine.
11. Lastly, salt to taste.