Sunday, December 13, 2009

Congratulations, Ruthie!

Ruthie Kitten is my pet. She was born here in the spring of 2006 the day before my mom arrived for a visit. Claire had named her Kitten, but when my mom came, she added the "Ruthie". She is one of two cows I claim as my own. Kate took her to the county fair as a weanling, she is halter broke and she just loves her neck scratches. She is the daughter of Bossy, who was the queen cow here for several years. Ruthie's first calf was stillborn prematurely two years ago. Last year, her calf rolled under the fence line as he was born, on a very hot day and was not found until he was too weak to survive. She never even got to lick him off. This year, I was really nervous for Ruthie. But the third time's a charm. Here she is at almost 4 years old, and finally suckling a calf for the very first time. If you listen closely, you can hear him. Yay, Ruthie! (ClaireAnna named the baby Comet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog post! If you like my blog, become of member or subscribe! (Check out the side bar on the right.) You can also share it with your friends via Facebook, Twitter, or email. I appreciate you!