1 small onion, diced
1 small bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small carrot, grated (optional)
1 - 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or a diced jalapeno
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 tablespoon butter, bacon grease, lard or coconut oil
1 dash liquid smoke flavoring, optional
1. Saute all the vegetables in a skillet in fat till very soft.
2. Transfer them to a food processor or blender and puree into a smooth paste.
3. Put all ingredients into a large bowl and mix with your hands to combine very well.
4. Shape meat mixture into 5 oz patties.
5. Grill patties till just seared well on each side, but still well pink in the middle if you are making them for the freezer.
6. Grill to desired doneness if eating right away.
A grill adds the best flavor. On my electric griddle, I cook these on 400 degrees for 4 minutes on first side, then 3 minutes on the second side, if I'm cooking them for the freezer.