|This Italian dinner is packed with nutrition and so |
delicious you'll never miss the pasta!
We have this several times a month.
1 1/2 pounds ground beef, or venison or a mixture
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
16 ounces mushroom, sliced
2 small zucchini, quartered and sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 broccoli stalk, grated, optional, saved from another meal's broccoli
1 24.5 ounce jar marinara sauce, sugar free, all natural, olive oil only
1 teaspoon dried oregano
12 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded, or sliced provolone
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoons olive oil, or butter or coconut oil
1. Brown ground meat in a large skillet. Drain and set aside.
2. Saute mushrooms in a little oil. Set aside.
3. Saute zucchini in a little oil on med/high heat till nicely browned but still firm. Set aside.
4. Saute onions and bell pepper in a little oil till translucent.
5. Add garlic and grated broccoli stalk. Saute for a few more minutes.
6. Add mushrooms, zucchini, meat, oregano, and sauce and stir to combine.
7. Pour mixture into a 9X13 glass baking dish.
8. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
9. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or till cheese is melted and bubbly.
10. When done, sprinkle with Parmesan if desired.
Servings: 6 to 8
I like to cook each ingredient separately because I want them just the right tenderness. I don't like soggy zucchini! However, this is not necessary. You could very easily put the mushrooms and zucchini in the same pan at the same time as the onions and broccoli stalk and saute until all are done to the desired tenderness.
You could also slice the zucchini in thin rounds and layer them in the pan like lasagna and then just bake the dish longer until they are tender but that is too much work for me. LOL
You can put any vegetables you like in this. We often throw in left over carrots or spinach.
Can be served over spaghetti squash if desired.
This is a regular at our dinner table!